Sunday, July 18, 2010

One of the items that I wanted to do while in Israel is to go to Mt. Sinai where Moses received the 10 Commandments and also the Monastery of St. Catherine.  The Monastery has been in existence since the 400's, 1600 years ago.  While here, I have discovered that it is difficult to go there from Israel.  Other countries it is a lot easier.  Israel still considers this a hostile and dangerous country so the country does not allow them entrance there.  Which is very strange since Moses gave them the Law, which is their entire religion. You can't rent a car and drive across the border.  You can't even rent a car and drive in parts of Israel, because it is a Palestinian Territory.  To make matters even more complicated, there is only one crossing that US Citizens can cross without a special visa.  And because there are many peopel crossing there, there isn't any transportation on the other side.  Anyways, I finally found a way to hopefully get there.  It's a little complicated but I think it will work.  That's basically what I did today.  Since I have gotten so much work done on my project, I'm going to reward myself with a trip.  I did go to Ben Yehuda Street today and did  some walking.  Have to stay in shape to climb Mt Sinai, etc.  The picture is the entrance to the pedestrian mall.