Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Since it was Tuesday, I decided to go to St. Onuphrius' Monastery.  They are open on Tuesdays & Thursdays.  Wrong.  They were closed.  I'll try again.  Maybe next time in the afternoon.  This Monastery is built around the Potter's Field or where Judas hung himself.  I have seen it from a distance and from the front door two times. Now next time, I might be able to enter.  Then I walked back through the valley and went up to Mt. Zion.  On the way, I remembered that Oscar Schindler was buried in that area. He is the man from movie fame & also saved 1,200 of  his Jewish workers from execution. So I went to the Catholic / Christian cemetery on Mt Zion and found his grave.  It's pretty obvious because of all the rocks & stones on the grave.  That's the Jewish custom of visiting a grave, instead of our custom of placing flowers.  There is an international art & crafts festival in town, so I stopped by there also.  Had a great day.  The pictures are of the Monasery's sign and Schindler's grave.